Titanic Submarine Fragments Brought Ashore For The First Time

Pieces of the sunk Titanic tourist submarine are being brought ashore for the first time since its “catastrophic” implosion.

The Titan submersible went missing earlier this month, prompting a major search before debris from the vessel was eventually recovered.

Pictures showed the pieces being unloaded from the US Coast Guard ship Sycamore and Horizon Arctic at the Canadian Coast Guard pier in St John’s, Newfoundland.

A debris field was found by the Coast Guard last week around 1,600 feet from the bow of the Titanic.

All five people onboard the submersible were killed after it suddenly lost contact with its surface ship.

One of the five killed was Stockton Rush, CEO of OceanGate, the company that owned the vessel.

The four other victims consisted of three British citizens including billionaire Hamish Harding. Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood were also onboard along with French national and renowned diver Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

In the wake of the horror incident, US maritime officials said they will issue a report aimed at improving the safety of submersibles worldwide.

Investigators from the US, Canada, France and the United Kingdom are working closely together on the probe of the June 18 accident, which happened in an “unforgiving and difficult-to-access region” of the North Atlantic, said US Coast Guard Rear Adm. John Mauger, of the Coast Guard First District.

The USCG previously confirmed that debris found at the wreck of the Titan showed signs that a devastating loss of pressure occurred in the submersible.

In a press conference after the debris field was found, Rear Admiral John Mauger, of the First Coast Guard District, did not confirm when the vehicle became irreparably damaged but said the sonar buoys deployed by teams would have picked up an implosion.

“This was a catastrophic implosion of the vessel which would have generated a significant broadband sound down there that the sonar buoys would have picked up,” he said.

He added: “The debris is consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber.”

Officials confirmed that Titan’s debris field was found only 1,600 feet from the bow of Titanic.

Carl Hartsville of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution said the location wreckage was found was “consistent with the last location of communication for an implosion in the water column.”

Hartsville, continued: “The size of the debris field is consistent with that implosion in the after column.” He added the area was a place where “there is not any debris of Titanic.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *